Hot Summer Nights


 
“You do realize that Summer has been returned to us from six foster homes,” Mrs. Naste said to Teal Connors. “She is almost 15 and we feel she is incorrigible and likely will never fit in anywhere,” she sniffed in a condescending tone. “Frankly, we all believed she would age out and be someone else’s problem.”


“There is no such thing as an incorrigible child,” the 34-year old socialite said as she adjusted her stylish hat. “I was not able to have children after the birth of my daughter, Nicole. We adopted Colleen and we were told she would be nothing but a headache. Quite the contrary, she has been a delight and a wonderful big sister to our Nicole. Children need love and guidance, give them that and most will turn out fine.”

“Yes, but as I have just said, Summer is not a child,” Mrs. Naste said. “She will be eighteen in a few years. We have several other children who …”

“My husband and I liked Summer from the beginning. She seemed to like us. Our trial weekend went swimmingly. The papers are signed, are they not?” Teal said, not letting this pushy woman dissuade her. Mrs. Naste nodded.

“Then I would like to take my daughter home, please.”













تعليقات